Campuses closed due to power outages; reopening starts Monday

Conroe Isd closed due to Laura for families to prepare

Photo: Courtesy Entergy.com

Entergy outage map as of 8:30 p.m. with nearly 120,000 without power.

Omar Perez, Web Editor-in-Chief

All Conroe ISD schools will be closed tomorrow, citing unreliable energy service, according to a message from the district sent out Thursday night.

The message came after more than 120,000 Montgomery County residents were without power due to rolling brownouts from Entergy Texas.

“After receiving an update about the possibility of continued power outages across out area along with internet instability, Conroe ISD will now be closed on Friday, Aug. 28,” the district’s message read. “We look forward to resuming Remote/Online Instruction on Monday…”

Superintendent Dr. Curtis Null tweeted an update from his official superintendent account.

“The positive is that Entergy feels good that power will be back for everyone tonight and they are optimistic about tomorrow,” Null tweeted, “but could not promise no outages tomorrow. Risk too high for us to bring students in and internet too unstable for remote. We will have to be closed.”

Teachers were instructed to alter due dates on assignments so that no students would be penalized for closed days. However, students were still able to access online courses in case they chose to.

The district’s ramp-up plan will continue starting Monday, Aug. 31 when high school students will begin returning in person for those not opting for remote learning.

Reopening plan:

• Monday, Aug. 31: Students last names A-C
  • Tuesday, Sept. 1: Students last names D-J
  • Wednesday, Sept. 2: Students last names K-Q
  • Thursday, Sept. 3:Students last names R-Z
  • Friday, Sept. 4: No on-campus students; everyone remote
  • Tuesday, Sept. 8: All in-person students return to campuses

Entergy said the brownouts are intentional designed to prevent further damage to the transmission lines. Hurricane Laura damaged main power transmission lines when it made landfall just on the east side of the Texas/Louisiana border.

“Due to damage to our transmission system, Entergy has started periodic power outages among some of its Texas customers north of Houston,” Entergy said in a press release. “Additionally, the company is appealing to all Texas customers to reduce their use of electricity. Our company is taking these actions as directed by our reliability coordinator, the Midcontinent Independent System Operator (MISO), as a last resort and in order to prevent a more extensive, prolonged power outage that could severely affect the reliability of the power grid. These actions also affect other customers in Texas outside of our service territory.”

Tips Entergy suggests to reduce power use:

• Raise the central air conditioner thermostat to 78 degrees. Window units should be adjusted accordingly.
  • Use energy efficient electric ceiling fans and portable fans to circulate air and help occupants feel cooler.
  • Close window blinds, drapes and curtains to reduce warming in the home from direct sunlight.
  • Check the air conditioner filter to be sure it is clean.
  • Delay laundering clothes, washing dishes, bathing, etc. until later in the evening or early morning. These activities produce moisture and increase humidity in the house, making the air conditioner work harder.
  • Wash clothes with cold water, cook foods at the lowest possible setting, and resist the temptation to open the oven door while baking.
  • Do not allow cooled air to escape from the home. Check caulking around doors and windows. Close the fireplace damper. Fill holes and gaps where wiring and pipes enter the house.
  • Make sure your clothes dryer and attic are vented properly.

ORIGINAL STORY:

Conroe ISD is planning to go back Friday depending on how Hurricane Laura affects the area. 

Hurricane Laura strengthened rapidly, moving up to category 4 as it’s going toward Louisiana, and the Texas coast. It’s expected Laura will make landfall Wednesday night into early Thursday morning as it weakens, according to The Weather Channel.

As the storm approached Wednesday night, the storm continued to grow stronger, approaching Category 5, the strongest level.

Due to the storm, Conroe ISD decided to have no remote/online classes Wednesday or Thursday in a statement released Tuesday afternoon.