Bus drivers in high demand; social distancing causes reworking of transporation

Photo: Omar Perez

In the bus ramp as students are heading to their bus

Kately Diaz, Reporter

This year Caney Creek has a shortage of bus drivers which means that there are less buses and seats available for students.Some buses have become more crowded in the process of attempting to aid the issue.
“As in years past, we have a need for more drivers,” Director of Communication Sarah Blakelock said. “Open routes are being covered by Transportation staff.”
Since there are students needed to be picked up, bus routes are constantly changing and students as well as drivers are having to adapt to longer distances and less availability of seats.
“The bus I rode before was very full and now they moved me to a different bus,” sophomore George Ortiz said. “We would have to go to one neighborhood and then to a whole other neighborhood.”
Due to COVID-19 there are additional safety protocols, like social distancing which makes it harder to fit many students onto one bus. This plan has not been working out so great on buses that have multiple routes but has worked out great on buses with less routes.
Mission Statement. “To provide effective and efficient transportation services to Conroe ISD students in safe, clean, reliable buses.”
As students ride the bus on the way to school or back home, every other window in the bus stays open as students continue to wear masks, not being able to practice social distance properly.
“At the beginning of the school year my bus would pick up my neighborhood plus another and it was hard to fit one person to a seat,” junior Danielle Hernandez said. “Now my bus only picks up my neighborhood and we even have empty seats.”
To see a complete breakdown of all the new transportation regulations, go to conroeisd.net/roadmap-to-reopening.

Photo by: Omar Perez