History continues to repeat itself with Black Lives Matter movement

Alyssa Herdon, Student Life Editor

Black Lives Matter is becoming a set of three words you haven’t stopped seeing in the last few months. It has been trending over social media non-stop.
But is that all it is? A trend?
The modern BLM movement was started after Trayvon Martin was fatally shot while walking home.Even before the hashtag was started, black people have been unfairly treated and killed for who they are since the start of the U.S. There has never been a day where black people haven’t been fighting to be seen as equal human beings in America.
On May 25, George Floyd was killed by police in Minneapolis after he was caught paying for cigarettes with a counterfeit $20 bill. Officer Derek Chauvin kneeled on his neck for 8 minutes and 46 seconds while he repeatedly stated he couldn’t breath. When talking about the case or read an article they sometimes say “maybe if he wasn’t a thug,” “he had it coming,” “he shouldn’t have committed a crime.” Being punished for a crime and being murdered can not be compared. The presumption of innocence has always been innocent until proven guilty. Though Floyd never had a day in court, officers carried out his death sentence.
Breonna Taylor was shot in her sleep after three Louisville police officers came into her apartment in plain clothes. Her boyfriend thought they were intruders and fired a warning shot. They returned with 32 shots. Taylor’s killer, Myles Cosgrove, is now seeking funds to retire.
The list does not stop.It painfully goes on and on. It has to stop. The police need to be defunded, and officials held accountable. Everyone should be accountable, Parents, Officials, etc.
Defunding does not mean abolishing. An estimated $100 billion goes to the police. Just one percent of that money can go to education, homelessness, and health services. When people have more access to education and living conditions go up, crime and the need for police will lower.
When people say Black Lives Matter, why is the automatic response All Lives Matter.
If All Lives Matter, help speak up for those being killed by police.