Seniors come together to paint parking spots

Photo: Lizette Fierros

I GOT YOU. Senior Isabel Iracheta holds on to the painting tray while her sister, sophomore Alma Iracheta helps her paint her senior parking spot.The class of 2023 seniors had the opportunity to paint their parking spots with help of their peers on Sept,17-18, 2022. They were in the parking lot as early as 8 a.m. and had the chance to come back and finish the following day.

Natalia Molina, Web Editor-In-Chief

The Class of 2023 gathered together at the school’s parking lot to paint their parking spots on Saturday and Sunday morning. 

Although paint and other supplies weren’t provided, students were still free to sketch and paint on their own designs to their respective spots. 

“I put the first two letters of my name and underneath them I put ‘mama’ like really tiny so it says ‘JO mama’,” senior Jocelyn Gonzalez said. “Then I made a Pokémon ball with Pikachu holding Thor’s hammer.”

To some, these designs meant more than just a painted lot, they had a meaning behind them. 

“My design idea has a quote on it that says, ‘strong is beautiful’,” senior Alinne Flores said. “I’m captain of the varsity powerlifting team so as a girl when you’re seeing someone strong it’s like ‘oh she’s so manly’ but to me it means either way you’re beautiful.” 

Seniors were welcome to bring friends and family to help out in the process, creating a memorable experience. 

“The best part I think was just finishing it off with my mom, really,” Flores said. “It was nice, you know, getting to see kids with their families helping them, it’s a really good bonding moment.”

With friends and family helping throughout the event, the only thing not lending a hand was the outside heat. 

“It was really fun, but so hot,” Gonzalez said. “The next day both me and my friend showed up, she got really sunburned because we stayed out there for so long.”

This event is one of the many things that is exclusive to seniors every year as they move on from being juniors and gain more privileges. 

“It’s like hitting ‘Wow I’m a senior’ but not really, it’s bittersweet,” Gonzalez said. “I don’t know, it’s just as a senior you get more stuff yet it also includes more stress.”