Conroe ISD holds early elections for the Board of Trustees

Brianna Warriner, National News Editor

Conroe ISD is holding an election for the Board of Trustees on Nov. 8, 2022 at Caney Creek. Positions 1, 2, and 3 will be up for election.

Position 1 works as a trustee to the school board. Position 1 is being competed for by Tiffany Nelson, Ashley Fehrle, Evan Berlin, Serafin Farias, and Mike Midler. 

Nelson is a conservative candidate with chritsian values as her baseline, she hopes to “empower parents, put students first, and encourage teachers”. Nelson has a background in boardroom etiquette and has served in multiple board committees, she has also received a John Maxwell certification in leadership, speaking, and coaching. 

Fehrle is a candidate with a background in social work and has served as Parent Teacher Organization, PTO, president, she currently serves as the Philanthropy Liaison for the National Charity league. If she earns the role of Position 1, she hopes to make “school safety, leveling the educational playing field, and teacher recruiting and retention” a priority. 

Berlin bases his candidacy on his motto “All Means All”, as a board member of Heritage Oaks School, he has a background in prioritizing helping children . He has coached sports teams and served in many community service roles. His top 3 concerns if elected are: “educational outcomes and a matching budget, safety, and growth planning.”

Candidate Farias is a physician with a mindset to turn CISD from a B rated distracted to an A rated district. With a history set in STEM, he hopes to encourage CISD to “expand on these areas.” If elected his prime concerns will be “to improve the academics in the district, lowering the student-to-teacher ratio, and to oversee the expansion of STEM.” 

Midler has a background in education, as an ex-teacher himself, he sees the struggles that students and teachers face constantly and hopes to relieve some of them. If elected his top matters are: “safety and security, adding additional courses, and transparency”.

Position 2 on the school board works as a secretary. Candidates for the position are Ray Sanders and Melissa Dungan. Sanders is currently on the board, having been elected in 2010, but is rerunning for his fourth term. If re-elected Sanders hopes to focus on making ‘managing growth, safety and security, and state funding for public schools’ his priorities. Dungan is running for the first time for Position 2 with ‘student performance and safety, teacher retention, and CISD budget and spend profile’ the highest on her list of to-do’s. 

Position 3 is the presidential role of the school board. Misty A. Odenweller is the only contender for this position and is running on the basis of  “parents should be in charge of their children’s education, (the) district (should be) focused on educating and not indoctrinating, and transparency of the Board.”

Early voting started Oct. 24, 2022 and ends Nov. 4, 2o22. The actual election day will be Nov. 8, 2022 from 7a.m. 7p.m.