Students off for midterm election day

Photo: Getty Images/iStockphoto

Man’s hand teaching that he has voted today in the American elections with a sticker.

Brianna Warriner, National News Editor

School is out on Election Day, Nov. 8, in order for people to cast their votes in the midterm election. The midterm elections include election for House of Representatives, senators, and governor.

The election that many people will be focusing on is the race between Republican Governor Greg Abbott and his opponent Democrat Beto O’Rourke. Abbott is running for a third term, while O’Rourke is running for a governor position after losing to U.S. Senator Ted Cruz in the senator race of 2018.
According to the US Embassy, most of the midterm elections revolve around the
U.S. Senate and the House of Representatives. The Caney Creek community is a part of U.S. House District 8 and the candidates for representative include Morgan Luttrell, Laura Jones, and Roy Erikson. Longtime Rep. Kevin Brady (R) announced his retirement at the end of this session.
The representatives for Texas House District 16 is Will Metcalf and House District 3 is Cecil Bell Jr. Both are running unopposed and each represent about half of the Caney Creek feeder zone.
The Texas Senate race is a more complicated matter as it has 31 seats up in the air this midterm election after districts were redrawn last year. Senate districts are part of the state government and work the same as House districts in that they represent the people in their districts. Senate District 4 race includes Republican Brandon Creighton and Democrat Misty Bishop.
Other positions being elected this November include: Attorney General, Lieutenant Governor, Agriculture Commissioner, Land Commissioner, Railroad Commissioner and Comptroller.
The Attorney General is the top lawyer in the state and has been seated by the same person for the last two terms: Republican Ken Paxton. The runners for Attorney General include Paxton, Democrat Rochelle Garza, and Mark Ash.
The Lieutenant Governor position, second highest executive in Texas, is being contested by Republican Dan Patrick, Democrat Mike Collier, and Libertarian Shanna Steele.
The Agriculture Commissioner runners include Republican Sid Miller and Democrat Susan Hays.

The Agriculture Commissioner is responsible for supporting the farmers and helping manage school lunch programs.
The Land Commissioner role, responsible for overseeing 13 million acres of state land and controlling disaster relief funds, is being competed for by Republican Dawn Buckingham, Democrat Jay Kleberg, and Alfred Molison. Along with overseeing the land, The Land Commissioner also controls the Alamo.
The Railroad Commissioner, which regulates the Texas oil and gas industry, runners include Republican Wayne Christian, Democrat Luke Warford, Libertarian Jaime Andres Diez, and Green Party Hunter Crow.
Comptroller is the state official responsible for collecting taxes, overseeing the state treasury and estimating the amount of money available for state legislatures when they create the two-year budget, according to the Texas Tribune. The people running for the position include Republican Glenn Hegar who’s running for his third term, Democrat Janet T. Dudding, and Libertarian V. Alonzo Echevarria-Garza.

ELECTION TIMES
Early elections began Oct. 24 and ended on Nov. 4. Polls were open on election day from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.