Conroe ISD board names 3 campus Ambassadors

Staff Report

One student, teacher and paraprofessional were named Conroe ISD Ambassadors in the annual recognition Friday, Jan. 27.

Senior Alinne Flores, world history teacher Karen Solberg and activity fund clerk Melissa Kral were all presented the Conroe ISD Ambassadors Awards in a visit by Superintendent Dr. Curtis Null and Board President Skeeter Hubert, as well as Principal Dr. Jeff Stichler.

Solberg, who was teaching in the LGI that day, was further surprised when her husband and two sons were able to watch the presentation.

“I’ve been teaching for 27 years,” Solberg said. “This really caught me by surprise getting the Ambassador award.”

When Solberg was teaching. she saw many people walk into the LGI including her family which worried her

“At first I thought they were just visiting and that Dr. Stichler brought my family to see what was going on,” Solber said.” I had no idea what was happening, I must have looked like a total moron when that happened”

Caney Creek has been part of Solbergs life, more than half by teaching for about 27 years. With many years under her belt, Solberg has much experience on how to deal with students and how to make them as comfortable as possible. 

“Everyone says that I’m a good teacher but I just do what I’m supposed to do every day,” Solberg said.”I care about kids, I’m always willing to give them a chance and a benefit of the doubt. I’m always willing to see them as people before seeing them as random students.”

On that same day Flores received a student version of the ambassador award.

“I was told that I received the award because I was succeeding academically and athletically,” Flores said. “For also being in many other organizations such as National Honor Society and helping around the school”

During COVID many people stayed at home and settled in during quarantine.

“At first I was joining many sports and clubs to find out who I was as a person,” Flores said. “ After COVID all those activities became an escape from reality to me.”

Finding herself and escaping from reality wasn’t the only reason Flores kept doing what she was doing.

“My parents really helped me because my dad never finished high school and at my age he started working as soon as he got from mexico, my mom grew up here as an immigrant and was constantly being judged for that,” Flores said. “ So I use sports as a way so that they can live a life they didn’t have through me.”

Kral also received the ambassador award for her paraprofessional in front of many important people in the district including her husband who was invited to attend and see Kral get her award.

“On that day Dr. stichler came in and told me he wanted to show me something and he took me to the registrar’s office,” Kral said.” Everybody was standing there including Dr. Null and the school board, also my husband was hiding in a closet with a bouquet of flowers to surprise me.”

When Krals husband came out with the bouquet of flowers she was excited that someone she cared about was there to witness her award.

“It made the day more special because my husband was there and he influenced me,” Kral said. “ Since he was a teacher he made me want to do something in education so that our schedules could match and enjoy time together.”