Library runs “Uber Reads” event

Brianna Warriner, National News Editor

The library is having a “Blind date With a Book” with an Uber Eats twist, through Feb. 24, 2023.

Blind date with a book is a way for students to “get out of a rut.” 

“The book is kind of like a book surprise, you never know what you’re going to get and so you might be pleasantly surprised,” Librarian Elizabeth Main said. “So the idea of blind date with a book is to kind of get it out of our regular genre’s and into something new that you wouldn’t have thought about reading.”

The “Uber Eats” twist on the event was a suggestion by Main based on the idea that people like to snack while they read.

“So my original idea was that we’d have the bags and when you picked the book, we delivered the bag,” Main said. “But the great thing is that the bags kind of set it up so people feel like they’re pulling out a present. It’s kind of like you know how you would snack and read at the same time, that was my thought process.”

Even though the event runs through Valentine’s Day, Main wants people to know that the books offered aren’t just romance books.

“We didn’t just focus on romance books,” Main said. “We focused on all genres, so we even have some manga, graphic novels, and nonfiction in there as well.”

Students who participate in blind date with a book are asked to write reviews about the book they receive and the library will post the reviews on the window and enter them in a contest. 

“So we posted reviews up here on the window and then they’re entered in to win a Grand Prize of beautiful chocolate roses that they can give to significant friends,” Main said.

For more information visit Main in the library.