Board names Stichler new assistant superintendant

Principal+Dr.+Jeff+Stichler+rocks+out+during+an+air-guitar+contest+at+the+Meet+the+Panther+pep+rally+for+employees+in+the+Caney+Creek+feeder+zone+on+Aug.+6%2C+2021.+

Photo: Stephen Green

Principal Dr. Jeff Stichler rocks out during an air-guitar contest at the Meet the Panther pep rally for employees in the Caney Creek feeder zone on Aug. 6, 2021.

Jose Gomez, State & International News Editor

During a surprise staff meeting after school Tuesday, Principal Dr. Jeff Stichler announced he would be resigning his position and will become the new  assistant superintendent for middle schools for the district. Superintendent Dr. Curtis Null recommended Stichler for the position at the board meeting Tuesday night where he was unanimously approved.

“I am very excited about this new position and the thought of it and I’m excited about East County and the growth that we’re going to see,” Stichler said. “We’re going to have a new intermediate school and two new intermediate principals out here. I think it’s a great thing for Conroe ISD and a great thing for East County and a great thing for my family all around.”

At the staff meeting, Stichler noted that he would be on campus through the end of the year, attend graduation and all other duties he currently does, but would add on some responsibilities as he transitions into his new role. He said the hope would be to finish the process of selecting his replacement by the March board meeting.

Stichler graduated at Texas A&M University with a bachelor’s in kinesiology. He also holds a doctorate of education from University of Houston and a master’s of education from Sam Houston State University.

During his college years, peers used to persuade him into choosing a career where he could earn better financially, which distracted him into doing what he loved best, teaching students.

“Finally I said, you know what? I’m going to be a teacher because this is what I want to do. I wanna help kids,” Stichler said in an article in 2017. “It took me awhile to get that right, but I’m very happy and have no regrets at all coming into who I am.” 

Later on he became principal at the Conroe High School Ninth Grade campus and then at Moorhead Junior High for one year.