Categories:

Theater to perform ‘The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane’

"Produced By special agreement with the dramatic publishing company, Inc, of Woodstock, Illinois."
“Produced By special agreement with the dramatic publishing company, Inc, of Woodstock, Illinois.”

The theater department will present its first play of the year, “The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane”, on Thursday, Oct. 17 and Friday, Oct. 18 in the auditorium at 7 .p.m. Tickets cost $5.

Theater teacher Jill Tanner has encouraged students and parents to come watch the play, saying it is an adventurous fiction play written by Kate DiCamillo. The plot is based on a novel about a porcelain rabbit going on a journey of self discovery.

“The play will be amazing,” Tanner said. “It’s filled with laughter, tears and many great life lessons.”

“Through this journey Edward finds love and then loses it and finally finds the courage to love again,” Tanner said. “I’m looking forward to how the show will come together. This will be a lot of students’ first show here at Caney Creek and I’m excited to see all the new talent on stage.”

Keep scrolling to read more!

Sophomore Caleb Harris describes his character as a “Toy rabbit who becomes real” and is excited to portray Edward Tulane, the main character.

When rehearsing Harris starts to get into his Edward Tulane’s character, he mentally prepares himself beforehand.

“I kind of hype myself into it, you know, talk myself into it,” Harris said. “I just imagine that I’m changing myself into a rabbit who’s selfish, like I’m changing into an extroverted friend with my extroverted friends.”

Harris makes a connection with his character but says he reminds him of a scrooge, “He doesn’t feel emotion but his journey throughout the play helps him understand and develop a moral compass, which is similar to something I helped one of my friends through in life,” Harris said.

Sophomore Polly Prince will play as the traveler who stars as the narrator.
“My role is the one with the most amount of lines, I am also going to be on the stage the entire time,” Prince said. “That’s also nerve wracking, but it’s very fun, so I’m ready to take on that challenge.”

The traveler is the most intense but interesting role that Prince has ever done so far in the theater class.

“It’s a challenge because I have to memorize all these lines, every single one, and the script is, like, almost 40 pages long,” Prince said. “It just gives me a lot of opportunities to be fun with the character.”

Prince described the play as a little bit of everything just because of how many emotions will be shown throughout it.

“It’s going to be fast paced and have some slower moments,” Prince said. “It’s going to be a great performance. There’s going to be lot’s going on. And I just hope you guys are ready to come see our new play.”

Donate to Creek Compass
$25
$950
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Caney Creek High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment, travel expenses, development opportunities and cover our annual website-hosting costs.