You Can’t Take It With You

Josh Christenberry, Editor

This past Friday and Saturday students in theatre performed George S. Kaufman and Moss Hart’s play, You Can’t Take it With You.

The play follows the Sycamores, a family who seems a bit crazy or mad at first, but is soon seen much different. They say that if they are mad, then the rest of the world is madder. In contrast to this family are the unhappy Kirbys. Tony, the attractive young son of the Kirbys, falls in love with Alice Sycamore and brings his parents to dinner at the Sycamore’s house to meet them on the wrong evening. Mr. and Mrs. Kirby are astonished when they see that they are served cheap food and Alice is told that marriage with Tony is totally out of the question.

The Sycamores find it hard to understand Alice’s view. Tony knows the Sycamores live the right way and love each other, while his own family is the one that is actually crazy. In the end, Mr. Kirby is converted to the happy madness of the Sycamores.

Distinct from other productions, many of the actors liked the message and point that this play brought to attention.

“I felt that the play had really strong morals and I really liked the messaged that it conveyed,” sophomore Damian Hobbs, who played the role of Paul Sycamore, said.

Unlike the Kirbys, the Sycamores do not live for money or other material objects.

“It’s [moral was] about life and doing the things you appreciate,” junior Sam Hanner, who played the role as Grandpa, said. “Don’t be materialistic.”

A lot of the actors enjoyed being castĀ in this play and had fun playing their parts and, though practice time was slightly more limited than other productions, the cast and crew members once again came together and gave the audience a great comedic, inspirational experience.