Athletic schedule to spread across school day

Lexi Amador, Contributing Reporter

Next year, athletics will be throughout the day instead of all during seventh period, according to Associate Principal William Kelly.

With the change of the athletics to a different period, it will benefit those sports teams that need to be in the gym, weight room or field when needed.

“If we spread them out over the day then soccer is the only thing going on during (sixth) period,” Kelly said. “They can be in the weight room if they need to, be in the gym when they need to and be in the practice room if they need to.”

The goal of the change is to make it easier for all to use. Since the classes will be at different times, it will be a new and mind changing situation for students and teachers.

“It’s new; so, if anything is new, you will be nervous,” Coach Kathy Stephenson said. “I think it’s going to be a great opportunity for us to get our freshman a lot more one-on-one time with the head coaches. I think that’s going to be good and a good opportunity to build the program.”

As the athletic periods start to be split apart the players and the coaches will become more closer. With the packed of teams and sports in one period it makes things harder for certain teams be in places they need to be.

Stephenson says she thinks it will be a division between freshman and varsity teams because so far the coaches have crammed all the teams in one period. So with her coaching her team in one gym and another coach coaching the freshman team in a completely different gym, it will be hard for her to let the freshman players know how she wants them to be doing things so with the change it will help her get more one on one time with the freshman team.