Underwood, Kloes recognized as teachers of the year

Alexis Lutz, Contributing Reporter

After an entire year of work and dedication, teachers Tracy Underwood and Gretchen Kloes were awarded teachers of the year. They were nominated by peers and chosen by secret ballot in mid-January.
Underwood said she was happy to win the award.
“My husband won teacher of the year last year at his campus and I had to listen to him for a year rub it in about how he had only been in education for two years and had already beaten me to (it),” Underwood said. “When I found out that I won I was relieved because I won’t have to hear him tease me as much. It’s definitely an amazing feeling to know that my peers think of what I do as worthy of this award.”
She also says that her favorite part of teaching is getting to witness the “lightbulb moments.”
“Unfortunately my content (world history) isn’t loved by everyone so I have to work to make it relatable,” Underwood said. “Seeing the look on students’ faces when they realize that they understand what you have been working on is amazing. I hated social studies in high school because I never understood the story, but if I can get even one student to find their love of history then I have succeeded.”
Kloes said she tries to help teachers and students whenever she can, and she always tries her best for the students.
“I love teaching because I enjoy finding out the different ways that students think and process information,” Kloes said. “I enjoy the challenge of figuring out different ways to explain material so that everyone can understand. I love teaching at Caney Creek because we have the best students in Conroe ISD and they deserve the best education we can possibly give them.”
Receptionist Shirley Mendenhall was nominated and won Humanitarian of the Year, and Anna Carroll won Newcomer of the Year, which is for teachers with three or fewer years experience.
The teachers of the year will write essays to submit to the committee that decides the Conroe ISD teacher of the year. They will attend the Salute to Education event where they will be recognized and find out results of district teacher of the year.