First-year teachers hit with double amount of struggles

Annali Ward, Reporter

For many first year teachers, that first year is all about survival. This year, those new teachers not only had to grapple with those typical issues, but also online learning and Covid-19 restrictions.
“The hardest part, to me, is really getting some kind of interaction and feedback with the students,” said English teacher Robert Evans, who is new to CCHS this year. “Getting students to interact when they’re not face to face is something I sort of had to figure out on my own.”
With the virtual distance between the students and teachers, it has been easier for students to put off daily assignments, which makes it difficult for teachers to get grades. Getting responses is made difficult and putting in grades even harder for teachers.
Assistant band director Carlos Herrera was already used to dealing with in-person students when he helped the marching band while a student at Sam Houston State University. Since graduating and taking the plunge into full-time teaching, he found the new situation “interesting.”
“It wasn’t something that I was trained for in college,” Herrera said, “but Conroe ISD really helped everyone with it and got me through the online teaching part of the semester.”
The district’s curriculum and instruction department not only requires all first-year teachers receive special training, but also includes new Canvas training for all teachers of all experience levels during the summer.