Consumption of energy drinks could lead to health problems in teenagers

Photo by Mike Mozart from flickr.com

Jaden MacKinnon, Web Editor-in-Chief

COVID -19 isn’t the only thing that’s been going viral the past couple of years, another phenomenon has risen as well: Energy drinks.

According to a report from the National Library of Medicine in 2018, nearly 70 percent of students have drunk an energy drink recently. This number was expected to rise, and likely has since then.

At Caney Creek many have started to use energy drinks, sometimes excessively, to help get them through the day.

“I mostly drink Monster because it helps me get through the day,” senior Brynn Ihnen said. “I normally only drink one a day.”

Students aren’t only using them to help wake themselves up in the morning, but to keep them awake at night.

“For me it helps me stay up in order to get school work done,” junior Netalia Soto said.

“I want to be able to stay awake and active the whole day. This helps me because sometimes I have activities after I stay up late, but I get really tired in the morning. The energy drinks keep me awake and helps me focus.”

Though energy drinks seem safe, some would argue that they are dangerous. 

According to the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health, large amounts of caffeine can cause serious heart and blood vessel problems. Many energy drinks also hold 54 to 62 grams of added sugar, which is more than the amount recommended for an entire day. On top of this, they can disrupt a teens sleeping patterns and enable students to stay up much later than they normally would.

Although there are health disadvantages, there can also be advantages.

According to Healthline, energy drinks can improve mental alertness and brain function. Studies have shown that energy drinks help people drive late at night and stay alert, even when they are sleep deprived.

While the pros and cons of energy drinks present themselves, all of the sources stated make one thing apparent: Energy drinks should be drunk in moderation if drunk at all.