Donald Trump hints at 2024 election and promises to pardon Jan. 6 defendants

Photo: Kaylee Freeman

SAVE AMERICA. 45th U.S President, Donald J. Trump finally makes an entrance walking out to “God Bless the USA” by Lee Greenwood on January 29th in Conroe at: Montgomery County Fairground. Roughly around 7:30 pm local time. The fans record on their phones in awe, with their hands reaching out in hopes that they can get a hat that the former president was throwing.

Roberto Garcia, News Editor

On Jan. 29 Former president Donald J. Trump held his “Save America” rally at the Montgomery County Fairgrounds. At the rally, Trump hinted at a possible 2024 comeback.

“When Trump announced he was running again a sigh of relief engulfed my body,”  sophomore April Sanchez said. “The current president has made questionable decisions, so having a person who’s had a track record of making peace and helping communities will be reassuring once more. We all cheered and whistled when those words left his mouth.”

Trump stated he felt a need to step in after witnessing president Joe Biden’s administration.

“Our country is angry and our country wants to be respected again,” Trump said. “Together we have to save America, there’s never been a time like this. What Joe Biden and the Pelosi Schumer congress have done to our country in just one year is a travesty of the highest order.”

Some students feel like Trump’s presidential run would cause more trouble for the nation than is necessary.

“I think it would cause more divide in our country than we can handle right now,” Sloan said.

Some students feel that Trump might have been deflecting the problems in his policies when he spoke about Biden’s administration. 

“He has no way of actually enforcing many of his promises,” senior Halle Divalentone said. “Like one of his major claims when he was running in 2016 was the construction of the wall around the border, they ended up building like a mile of it. Other than that there’s the obvious homophobia, racism, and xenophobia that he perpetuates by allowing his policies and political ideals to become a mainstream ideology.”

Trump went on to state that he would pardon the Jan. 6 defendants if he was elected as president.

“It would be unjust if he pardoned the rioters,” senior Gallant Sloan said. “Because no one wants another Nixon. We can’t establish a precedent where they can make these things disappear.”

Most of the politicians in attendance were quick to discredit president Biden, and insult his current political campaign.

“We are the bold party of Donald Trump and we will stay that way,” Chairman of the Republican Party of Texas Matt Rinaldi said. “When President Biden, Kamala Harris, Nancy Pelosi destroy our economy, open our borders, defund our police, force vaccines, when they deprive our children of a normal childhood we’re going to take the fight directly to them and go on the offensive.”

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton made a speech asking the people to imagine a world where Biden’s political campaign wasn’t an issue. Paxton advocated for Trump and his presidential run for 2024, stating the issues in drug and illegal immigrant importation increasing under the Biden administration.

“I think it would be pretty silly, there’s no way he’s getting reelected,” senior Angel Bautista said. “I think it would split the Republican vote. Trump’s administration was a disaster.”

Even Trump Jr. commented on Biden’s campaign, and how badly he viewed it was going. He went as far as to say that Biden fixed the election, and that that was the only thing that Biden did right.

“So far after every presidential election each side spews anything to question the integrity of our elections,” Sanchez said. “We’ve seen it done by Hillary after Trump won, now by Trump after Biden won. Lately Biden’s doing the same thing, he’s telling the country if his party doesn’t win the upcoming races, it’ll be because of a bill not passing.”

Some students who missed the rally stated that they would want to go to another rally as a joke. 

“I would go ironically,” Divalentone said. “I would basically be going to make fun of people.”

Other students are looking forward to Trump’s next rally and are hoping he follows through on his promise to run again.

“I can’t wait until he comes back here, if he does,” Sanchez said. “I really hope he follows through on his promise to run again and I hope he’s able to fix our country and return it back to how it was before.”