Police seeking possible victims after baseball coach arrested

Joseph Johnson jailed for online solicitation of minor

Mug shot of baseball coach and teacher Joseph Madison Johnson.

Roberto Garcia, News Editor

Head baseball coach and government teacher Joseph Johnson was arrested in parking lot for online solicitation of a minor Wednesday, Feb. 16, according to a press release from the Harris County Precinct One Constable’s Office.

Investigators arrested Johnson after a five-month long investigation. According to the press release, undercover officers communicated with Johnson online through an undisclosed social media site and later on through text messages. He also allegedly planned to meet with one of the personas in The Woodlands but that the meeting never came to fruition or additional charges would have been filed.

“I am very pleased that this arrest took place,” Harris County Precinct 1 Constable Alan Rosen said at a press conference Wednesday afternoon.

Rosen said there could be actual victims that are former students because of Johnson’s information provided during their post-arrest interview. It is not clear if the former students referenced by the press release are from Caney Creek or his former schools including at Aldine ISD.

“We believe very strongly that there are more victims that we need to talk to,” Rosen said. “We would like the public to please put his picture out so we can find other victims. Somebody that’s targeting 14- and 16-year-olds needs to be off the street.”

Rosen said investigators believe the communication took place on campus and at his home, which is in Harris County.

Conroe ISD Director of Communication Sarah Blakelock gave The Prowler a statement identical to the message in an email Principal Dr. Jeff Stichler released to parents explaining the situation soon after school hours including how the district will proceed in the near future.

“Over the next few days, you will likely see and hear news reports regarding our school,” Stichler said. “I wanted you to hear directly from me accurate information about what has happened.”

Johnson was hired on Aug. 4, 2020. Stichler noted that the campus is “working through our processes to put him on administrative leave effective immediately.”

Stichler also noted the district and campus are committed to providing students with a safe learning environment and their intended cooperation with the police throughout their investigation.

“If your child has any information related to this investigation, please contact the Harris County Pct. One Constable’s Office Internet Crimes Against Children Unit at 713-222-4929,” Stichler wrote.

Rosen said the Harris County District Attorney’s Office is considering filing additional charges against Johnson because some of the communication took place within Harris County.

This is a developing story. More information will be updated once it becomes available.