Student Newspaper of Caney Creek High School

Creek Compass

Creek Compass

Creek Compass

Poll

This poll has ended.

Which class will win the powderpuff football game?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

MEET THE STAFF: Shane McCauley

Shane+McCauley
Photo: Litzy Sanchez
Shane McCauley

Shane McCauley

• Position: World history teacher
  • Years at Caney Creek: 16
  • Years Teaching: 26

How would other people describe your high-school self?

To be honest with you, I didn’t like high school. I felt that I had a lot of teachers that maybe didn’t care about teaching and maybe they didn’t like the kids so much. I think when I got to college I wanted to be a good teacher, the type that I didn’t have in high school.

Was there a career you wanted to pursue OR pursued before teaching?

Keep scrolling to read more!

I wanted to be an engineer. I got into college early and started take engineering classes. I found out that it just wasn’t for me. At that point, I started thinking about teaching and going back to high school.

Tell us about how you got into teaching.

I got into teaching because my parents were teachers. I knew the teaching life and I like interacting with kids because I’m also a swim coach. I wanted to be a good teacher that students in high school could have, and that was what got me there.

What do you do outside of school for fun? Why?

Outside swimming, I’ve got a pretty tight family. It’s fun getting together with them, and outside of school I do a lot of dad things with my girls.

When people get to know you, what are they most surprised to learn about you?  

I think a lot of times they’re surprised that I didn’t come from this country; that’s kind of a unique thing. That’s always a quick conversation starter.

What is something you know a weird amount about that isn’t related to something you teach?

Probably cars and modifications, I’m big into the car culture. Everybody kind of gets their first car and sits around and talks about it, and it just stood with me.  I enjoy the culture, and of course there’s always good movies out like Fast and Furious. My dream car is a Porsche; I love the 911 is pretty nice, there’s a 959 out there that’s pretty good too.  I’ve got two, I’ve got what they call a daily, which is good on gas and then I’ve got my play toy. They’re both Subaru.

Tell us the story about what you are most proud of yourself for.

I think I’m doing a great job raising two little girls. I think I had a great mentor as my father and mother.

Who is someone you are thankful for and why?

I’m thankful for important people in my life. My father is pretty important to me; I’m very thankful for him for his guidance.

What advice would you give to your younger self?

Probably start training and swimming earlier. Seriously, I waited until right before high school. I think I could have been a whole lot better if I started  earlier.

What do you hope to be remembered for?

I hope to be remembered by kids that went through my class that I may have made an impact on them somehow, and made them feel that they could do anything they want to do.

What’s on your bucket list?  What aspirations do you have for the future?

I’d like to visit all the continents. I think that’d be pretty cool. Aspirations in life are that I want to retire.

Favorites

• Food: Pizza
  • Restaurant: Chipotle
  • Music: Reggae, ’80s and ’90s alternative
  • TV Show: “Game of Thrones “
  • Movie: “Boondock Saints”
  • Book:The Pillars of the Earth” by Ken Follett
  • Teacher: My favorite teacher ever was my fourth grade teacher Miss Chang. She was cool. I remember her encouraging us to break dance in her class, so we get to breakdance during our lunch periods.

Donate to Creek Compass
$0
$650
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Caney Creek High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment, travel expenses, development opportunities and cover our annual website-hosting costs.