Student Newspaper of Caney Creek High School

Creek Compass

Creek Compass

Creek Compass

Poll

This poll has ended.

Which class will win the powderpuff football game?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

MEET THE STAFF: Jacqueline Mitchell

Jacqueline+Michell
Photo: Bryant Benitez
Jacqueline Michell

Jacqueline Mitchell

• Position: English teacher
  • Degrees & Alma Mater: Associate of Arts in Liberal Arts; Lamar State College Orange and a bachelor of Arts in History; Lamar University
  • School Activities: In school I was involved in the Texas Future Teachers of America, band, choir, One-Act Play, theater club, and we created a library club my senior year.
  • Years at Caney Creek: 8
  • Years Teaching: 16 

How would other people describe your high-school self?

They would say that I worked hard, was kind to everyone, creative, and had too many responsibilities for a kid. 

Was there a career you wanted to pursue OR pursued before teaching?

Keep scrolling to read more!

I always wanted to be a teacher and wrote a letter at the age of 4 saying just that. While I was getting my bachelor’s degree, though, I was working full-time in the U.S. Postal Service as a data conversion operator; I quit going to school for almost a year, but my boyfriend, (now my husband) convinced me to go back so that I could teach which was my dream. When the post office plant where I worked shut down, I began to substitute teach for a year before getting hired as a full-time teacher in August of 2008.

Tell us about how you got into teaching.

I love to learn and wanted to change the world; I knew that as a teacher, I could help kids that needed encouragement and motivation to dream and reach for their dreams. I didn’t have a lot of that when I was growing up; we struggled a lot with money, and my parents were teens when I was born. I wanted to help kids see that I am more than where I came from and that I believe in my students. I have a history degree, but when I first got hired, only coaches got to teach history. I was highly qualified to teach English and history so I got my teaching license in English. 

What do you do outside of school for fun? Why?

I am a mom of 8 year old twin boys; they are both autistic, so I try to do better each day for them. I attend a small church on Sunday mornings, too. I love to read and make time each day to do so, I like to paint, make crafts, and I play with my kids a lot. We went to parks or explore, my mom was always working so she never got to be there for me which makes me want to be involved in my kids’ lives as much as I can be. 

When people get to know you, what are they most surprised to learn about you? 

People are surprised that I know a lot of trivia about movies and songs from 1930s-2000s. In college, I had a story published about my best friend that had passed away when we were freshmen in high school.

Tell us the story about what you are most proud of yourself for.

I am proud that I took a chance and went for my dream; no one was there to tell me what college was about. The guidance counselor at my school met with the top 10 kids; I was a good student, but I was at the 15%. I am proud that I broke traditions for my family, and that I was able to help my younger brothers, too.

Who is someone you are thankful for and why?

I am thankful for my husband because he is the only one that ever saw me and encouraged me to dream. He listened to my dreams and goals and pushed me to go for them. 

What advice would you give to your younger self? 

Don’t give up, try to improve yourself each day. 

What do you hope to be remembered for? 

Being kind to others and showing them that they’re loved. 

What’s on your bucket list? (If needed) What aspirations do you have for the future?

I want to write a book and would love to move to the beach.

Favorites

• Food: Chocolate
  • Restaurant: TexMex or hibachi
  • Music: Classic rock, blues/jazz, movie soundtracks
  • TV Show: “Psych” 
  • Movie:  “It’s a Wonderful Life”
  • Book: “Bible”
  • Teacher: Mrs. Martin, my 2nd grade teacher

Donate to Creek Compass
$0
$650
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Caney Creek High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment, travel expenses, development opportunities and cover our annual website-hosting costs.