Group of cheerleaders headed to Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade

Photo: Stephen Green

Caney Creek cheerleaders perform at the Meet the Panther pep rally. Several cheerleaders from the school squad will be traveling to New York City to participate in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.

George Juarez, Editor-in-Chief

Several Panther cheerleaders will be heading to New York to be part of the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.

Coach Janel Jackson, Woodlands Elite member, selected a few cheerleaders to take part in the Macy’s parade.

“We hired her to help out with our team because she’s a professional,” Head Coach Christine Zimmer said. “She knows what she’s doing. She’s helping us get ready for the UIL championship in January.”

Now, more than 50 million people watch the parade at home and hundred of individuals participate in the organization itself.

“It will most likely be the best moments I will experience in high school,” sophomore Madison Mills said. “We’re going to be cheering in the parade behind some of the floats.”

Being part of such a huge event brings excitement and enthusiasm to the cheerleaders.

“It’s a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity,” Mills said.

They will be departing Saturday, Nov. 18 to stay in the Big Apple. The cheerleaders will be staying for a week under Jackson’s supervision.

During the week at stay, high intensity is no choice.

“We will wake up at 4 a.m. and won’t go to sleep at probably 11 p.m.,” freshman Bailey Lacaze said of the upcoming trip.

They find it as a challenge and a way to become better cheerleaders.

“There’s not a lot of time to relax,” freshman Alison Guillot said. “You wake up and you practice.”

The parade’s purpose was to draw attention to the Macy’s store in New York City, which worked.

Began in 1924 in New York City, and has been broadcast nationally on NBC since 1948. Over.5 million people gather around to watch the parade in Manhattan each year. The parade introduces giant floats, a captivating mix of sounds, high school marching bands from across the country and live performances from trending artists in music.