Juan Martinez qualifies to state

George Juarez, Editor-in-Chief

One Caney Creek wrestler made a trip to the state competition for the second year in a row.

Junior Juan Martinez was the only Panther wrestler to escape the regional meet at Bryan High School on Feb. 16-17. This was after the wrestling team went to district competition on Feb. 7 at Willis high school and eight wrestlers qualified to regionals.

Martinez had previously qualified last year and said he was expecting to qualify again.

“It was a different feeling last year, I was surprised and excited,” Martinez said. “Although, I already expected I was going to be a state qualifier this year.”

Behind every fearless athlete, there’s a fearless coach. Head coach Jacob Ferguson is the architect behind Martinez’s triumph.

“I was able to concentrate more and learn more technique from Coach Ferguson,” Martinez said. “I was able to be more successful.”

Ferguson said Martinez has improved greatly in the last year.

“He has a great work ethic and is arguably the most disciplined athlete on our team,” Ferguson said. “This season did not end the way he wanted to and he will use that to motivate him all through this off season.”

Martinez had a record of 27-6 throughout the season. His first round match in state was against a kid that ended up taking third. In his second match, he lost a heartbreaking match in overtime.  

“It takes heart to end the third period,” Martinez said.  “When your in the mat, you feel like your there for eternity. But at the same time, you have to take advantage of the moment and have fun.”

On the mat, there’s always someone tackling the big issues and rising to the spot at the end of the period. Martinez has stepped up to that spot.

“I do define Juan as a leader, a great one,” junior Joseph Gonzales said. “He drives us and pushes us to go harder and not quit, even when he’s having a bad day.”

Martinez said that he is determined to work harder next year.

He said, “Always take advantage when your in the moment, because when you look back and it’s gone; that’s when your going to realize that it was valuable.”