Creeks sees shakeup in UIL district

George Juarez, Editor-in-Chief

The University Interscholastic League announced a new district alignments for athletics and academics for the 2018-2019 school year.

In football, the new district includes Caney Creek, College Station, Lufkin, Magnolia, Magnolia West, Tomball , Waller, and Willis.
The top four teams from each district, in football, advance to playoffs. The two schools with the largest enrollments automatically advance to the Division I bracket. The remaining two schools advance into the Division II bracket.

“We will be a very competitive football team next year, but we are going to have to be ready physically and mentally to take on the challenges of District 8-5A/Division 1,” athletic director and head football coach Steven Svendsen said.

College Station High School won the 2017 state championship in conference 5A, division 2 against Aledo. In addition, Lufkin High School played at the 6A level last year and ended the season as a state quarterfinalist.

“We will have to work hard in the off-season and put forth our best effort in getting ready for district play next year,” Svendsen said.
In basketball, the new district includes Caney Creek, Humble , Kingwood Park , Huntsville, Montgomery, Montgomery – Lake Creek, New Caney, Porter, Tomball, and Willis.

This August, Montgomery ISD will open its second comprehensive high school, Lake Creek High School. Next school year will be their introduction to extra-curricular activities. However, only basketball and volleyball teams will face them.

“We were fortunate to play and scrimmage Willis and Tomball this past season,” boys basketball Coach Randy Appiah said. “Also, I’ve seen Huntsville play, and I’m familiar with Montgomery from when I was an assistant for three years at The Woodlands College Park High School prior to last season.”

Girls basketball coach Jay White said he is excited to play new teams and that they were fortunate to have away games closer.

“I’m excited to play ‘new blood’ and I believe the girls are as well,” White said. “Montgomery splitting into two high schools should prove interesting.”

In volleyball, the new district includes Caney Creek, Humble, Kingwood Park, Huntsville, Montgomery, Montgomery Lake Creek, New Caney, Porter, Tomball, and Willis.

For the volleyball team, it is also a difficult challenge since they are facing new programs as well.

“It is all teams that were capable of beating,” volleyball coach Kathy Stephenson said. “If we can figure out what we need to do against a team before we get in there, we have a better chance of being able to pull it through.”

The Prowler will respond for the rest of the sports and academic alignments in the next edition.