Strong turnouts leads to more teams for lady panther soccer

Photo: Christina Pena

INCREASING NUMBERS. Girls tryouts had 73 players on the field. 22 players were added in comparison to last season due to coaches efforts to add in a third team.

Yamileth Maldonado, Sports Editor

After a record breaking season, the lady panthers soccer team has been focused on trying to make a reappearance in playoffs, while the junior varsity team directs their attention to a district championship.

Assistant coach Morris Sweat said not many changes have been incorporated to the program this year.

“We’ve had success with what we have been doing, but we are always looking to get better,” Sweat said.

The biggest change the program has had is the two soccer classes that have been added, one period for incoming freshmen and the other for Junior varsity and varsity team. Both classes focusing on further developing the athletes, the varsity team is building in all aspect of the field since August, due to what they have previously accomplished.

“We can actually do other things without having to start over with freshman, and focus on what we’ve been doing.” junior Nayeli Saldana said.

Coaches have been able to work individually with the newcomers to a level where they need them to be in order to be able to compete.

“Coach can focus on us more… she can go our pace,” sophomore Karla Chavarria said. “We don’t feel as pressured to do good and we’re not like embarrassed when we mess up.”

They have been working on playing smarter and faster speeding up everything from decision making, getting rid of the ball quicker and getting down the field rapidly.

“We had mini tournaments and scrimmages,” Kloes said. “Building on the relationship the kids have.”

73 girls tried out for the team and unlike last year, not many girls were cut, according to Kloes.

Head coach Gretchen Kloes said they’ve added 22 players that have never been in the soccer program before. This is due to their efforts to push for an extra team for the past few years. With two soccer class periods, they can increase the numbers.

Not to mention, this years district will be challenging and will be “a fight every game.” Kloes said the lady panthers have a great group of athletes who are dedicated to each other and the team.

“From top to bottom, there’s not a team that’s weak,” Kloes said.

In order to make it to playoffs again, the players have to be on top of their game, according to senior Victoria Rangel.

“We just need to keep ourselves positive and fight through the struggles in every game,” Rangel said.