Restraining order against Abbott gives schools the right to mandate masks

Photo: Pool photo by Ricardo B. Brazziell/American-Statesman(KVIA)

Abbott in court to contest restraining order.

Roberto Garcia, News Editor

Texas Supreme Court rules in schools favor to temporarily allow mandate masks again.

Due to multiple restraining orders placed on Governor Greg Abbott, his mandate banning the mask mandate from schools has fallen short. 

“Soifer also ruled that Abbott could not enforce his executive order banning mask mandates ‘against Texas independent school districts.’” The Texas Tribune Contributing reporters Erin Douglas and Joshua Fechter stated.

While the order is temporary, more schools have decided to enforce the mandate on their students.

Some 58 school districts and eight counties have instituted mask mandates of some kind, according to a list compiled by Paxton, whose office argued that the local mandates were causing ‘mass confusion’ in Texas.” Douglas and Fechter stated.

Some schools have resorted to requiring the mask in a sort of loophole, stating that “For health reasons masks are currently required for all employees and students to mitigate flu, cold, pandemic, and any other communicable diseases.” Paris ISD stated.

Abbott has also received a warning  from the president about his decision to ban masks. 

The government will not “sit by as governors try to block and intimidate educators from protecting our children,” Biden said.