School celebrates first pep rally

Kimberly Cruz, Boys Sports Editor

Faculty and students came together to enjoy the first pep rally of the school year before the first football game of the season as a 6A school in the main gym on Aug. 26.

”I think having more people brings more fun and more competition when it comes to battle of the classes,” junior and cheerleader Elizabeth Cervantes said. 

The cheerleaders kicked off the pep rally with a welcome routine while students filed in the gym to their respective class spots. 

Getting to see the whole crowd and big smiles makes me feel happy, but also pressured as the students expect something exciting to see,” Cervantes said. “Sometimes I get nervous but the most important thing that my cheer team tells each other is to not forget to have fun.”

The cheerleaders welcomed everybody in, meanwhile the Mighty Panther Band performed “Land of 1000 Dances” and “Pretty Fly,” as well as their other traditional songs that partake in pep rallies. 

“It was such an exhilarating feeling, playing in a pep rally for the first time this year,” senior and  drumline section leader Daniel Asaro said. “I felt happy at first, but slowly I realized what I’m going to lose when I graduate. I want to leave a mark on people’s spirits, I want to feel like I accomplished something not only as a band member, but as a student of Caney Creek.”

Fall sports were then introduced to the crowd as the volleyball, cross country and football teams ran around the gym.

“I just felt proud of me and my team because we show up every morning and work hard,” junior and varsity cross country runner Adair Poisot said. “It’s good that we get the recognition we deserve and to be an example to the rest of the school.” 

After the athletes were introduced, the Starlettes performed a hip-hop dance routine to “Tambourine” by Eve.

The adrenaline I get from the mix of stage fright and desire to perform good for my classmates, is what pushes me while on stage,” senior and Starlette lieutenant officer Trina Pagel said. 

The pep rally proceeded with a limbo competition between cross country and football. In the end, senior David Najera won for football and sophomore Leila Chicas won for cross country. Faculty also participated in the limbo competition, where English teacher, Meggan Morrison-McLeod won alongside special education teacher and coach, Christopher Mallot.

“It was kind of hard when the limbo stick was getting lower and lower, I was also thinking that hopefully I don’t fall, but I actually ended up falling in the end,” freshman and varsity cross country runner Andrea Rangel said.

Athletes then faced off faculty in a beach ball game that decided the final champion of the original limbo game, here Chicas and Najera represented the student body well by beating Mallot and Morrison-McLeod. Ultimately giving the winning title to athletes.  

“When I won the beachball game I was happy knowing I was representing cross country,” Chicas said. “It shows that we as a team are capable of winning at anything.”

Both of the athletes are proud to be able to represent their sports team by winning the games during the pep rally. 

“It was a great feeling if I’m being honest, being able to represent football and to beat the coaches,” Najera said. “I know it definitely hyped up the students.”

The fight for the spirit stick wrapped up the pep rally. All classes chanted in hopes of being the one with the most spirit but the senior class were the first to receive the spirit stick of the year. 

“Winning the spirit stick felt awesome, it was the best thing I cherished during the pep rally,” senior Aida Cristino said. “I never would have thought the seniors would’ve won, but hearing the whole senior crowd as they cheered for our first ever spirit stick was wonderful.”

The next pep rally will be held on Friday Sept. 9, 2022 with a “White Out” theme.