School board passes library book policy

Ana Chavez, Clubs and Organizations Editor

The Conroe Independent School District’s School Board introduced a new policy restricting the use of some instructional and library materials on Aug. 2, 2022.

These two new local policies were the request from the Board of Trustees. They were created to address the two different categories of instructional resources used in schools. 

Instructional materials come from a list of resources adopted by the State Board of Education, though most library materials selections are made by school librarians based on criteria from the Texas Library and Archives Commission. Both of these policies prohibit works that contain “harmful” or “obscene” material as defined by Texas Penal Code.

Harmful and obscene materials were defined in the Texas Penal Code as content whose strong theme is taken over as a whole, as well as appealing to the interest of a minor, sex, nudity, or excretion; is offensive to the adult community as a whole with to what is suitable for minors;  and without saving social values for minors.          

Through this system, parents that live within the Conroe ISD area will be allowed to debate library books that are in the district’s library program if the material fails to meet the standards that are in said policy. Although professional staff has already made sure that all books within the selection, follow proper procedure and objectives set out in this policy.                                                                                                                              

Access to challenged library books will not be restricted during the reconsideration process, unless a complaint is given and if it fails to correspond with the Protection from Inappropriate Material policy. It will be restricted and only available to students with a written parent permission. 

When an objection regarding suitability of a book is presented, an administrator or a librarian will attempt to resolve it in a calm manner. They then will explain a selection process, if the book is not considered valid, then they may offer to the concerned parent an alternative that can be used by their child in place.

A parent can make a complaint if they wish to, the administrator or librarian will provide a copy of the policy and a form to request a formal reconsideration. When they have completed the form provided by the district they shall submit the completed and signed form to the District of Teaching and Learning. They then will appoint a reconsideration committee. 

The committee will include a member that has experience using the challenged book. After all of the members review the challenged material they will meet and discuss if it does or does not meet the principles of selection in the policy and if it will be used. After material has been reviewed formally, it won’t be reviewed again.