New associate principal role focuses on instructional practices

Photo: Ezri Luna

Principal Dr. Terri Benson

Natalia Molina, Web Editor in Chief

Dr. Terri Benson took on the new role as associate principal of instruction over the summer, splitting the role Associate Principal of Curriculum Kathy Franklin had into two.

“I’m so excited because I feel as though I am paving the way for this new role,” Benson said.
Benson’s role manages working with teachers to generate new strategies and lessons, as well as helping students create and reach their personal goals in order to increase overall classroom performance.

“I feel truly blessed to be here,” Benson said. “I want to be my very best everyday that I get the opportunity to.”

Originally there were only two associate principals on campus; Nancy Kahn, who oversaw building and Franklin, who oversaw both curriculum and instruction. Principal Dr. Jeffery Stichler decided it was best to split Franklin’s job into separate roles because of the sheer size of the job. While instructions focuses on teacher instruction and student learning practices, curriculum focuses more on what is taught and the courses offered.

As the community grows, Benson said she is happy to be a part of it all. She strongly believes getting to work here will be a growing experience filled with opportunity and looks forward to working with students and teachers.

“The biggest challenge is assimilating into the Panther Nation quickly while adopting all of the historical factors of the school and becoming a part of the community,” Benson said.

After working at Conroe High School for 15 years as a co-teacher in chemistry and special programs, AP of curriculum and instruction, and headmaster of the Academy for Science & Health, she then decided to try something new and became the principal of Cleveland ISD’s Eastside Elementary. After, Benson applied for the new position at Caney Creek.

“I realized my passion is high school,” Benson said. “I could’ve done any other thing but I chose to do this. I chose to come to Caney Creek because I wanted to work with these students and teachers.”

MILAM TAKES ON BUILDING OPERATIONS

Following Kahn’s retirement, Brad Milam has been adapting and managing his way as the new associate principal of operations. He feels as though getting to learn the new process of his role will be challenging compared to his predecessor.

“Kahn was unbelievable at her job,” Milam said. “You know, what takes a new person 30 minutes to do and figure out, she could do it in five. I can only hope to be half as good as she was.”

There has also been some rearrangement with the grade level assistant principals. Karen Bray and John Pyle are now the ninth grade APs, Donna Hounihan and Linda Ezeh — also new to campus — are the 10th grade APs while Beatriz English and Nicholas Moore are the 11th/12th grade APs.