Volleyball faces tough 6A for the first time

SPIKE+OUT.+Senior+Emily+Bockleman+serves+the+ball+in+a+game+against+Grand+Oaks+High+School+on+Sep.+30+in+the+performance+gym+at+Caney+Creek+High+School.+

Photo: Ronal Cardona

SPIKE OUT. Senior Emily Bockleman serves the ball in a game against Grand Oaks High School on Sep. 30 in the performance gym at Caney Creek High School.

Bridgette Miranda, Web Editor in Chief

THE VOLLEYBALL TEAM IS NOW COMPETING
against 6A schools after being realigned by UIL. Team members have been working hard to compete with the 6A schools.

“The season is going well, all girls in the program are improving each day,” Head Coach Samantha Lang said. “We are playing state-ranked teams in our district every week and we are having competitive rallies with them.”
With a new head coach this year, the team has learned to adapt to a new coaching style.
“The players are very receptive to the coaching change,” Lang said. “Towards the end of the season, we can see the girls ‘buying in’ to my system and growing their skill sets.”
The team had injuries and other difficulties leading them to have struggles throughout, making the season harder on top of competition. The team ended the season with a on overall record of 9–29.

District included Cleveland, Conroe, Grand Oaks, Oak Ridge, The Woodlands, College Park, New Caney and Willis.
“We have trouble getting in our heads about the teams when it comes to them because they are really tall,” senior Yasema Robles said. “So, we get in our heads, but we always adjust.”
Throughout the season, the girls have learned how to grow together and communicate as a team, especially considering the new additions to the team.
“We have a very young team but I know that we are getting better and stronger everyday as we go,” senior Emily Bockleman said. “Every team is hard on any given day but they are beatable.”