Masks not required for 2021-2022

Photo: Nadia Molina

A chalk drawing made by CCHS student media on July 28 which depicts a person wearing a mask.

Jaden MacKinnon, Web Editor-in-Chief

The world was turned upside down with the arrival of the COVID-19 pandemic in Spring 2020. After almost two years of turmoil, everyone gets a first taste of normalcy with the lift of the Conroe ISD mask mandate.

The mask mandate was lifted on June 1 and was finalized on July 28 during an update hosted by superintendent Curtis Null. Though the mandate was lifted, there are still those that choose to continue wearing masks. 

“It’s safer for everyone,” Sophomore Emma LaCount said. “ I also haven’t had the opportunity to be vaccinated yet.” 

LaCount doesn’t wear the mask only for herself, but also her family.

“My grandma is at higher risk, and my sister and nephew have asthma,” LaCount said. “I’m not around them all the time but I’d still like to be safe especially for them. People should try to get vaccinated, wear a mask, and keep those that are high risk safe.” 

Junior Kiley Iddlet continues to wear her mask because she is not yet vaccinated. 

“When I get vaccinated, I might choose not to,” Idlett said. “Nobody around me is at high risk, but I just want to be safe. Overall the cases may have died down because of the vaccine, but I do believe that it is important that we all stay cautious and be careful when in a large group of people.” 

Though Idlett does believe that people should wear masks, she isn’t completely against those that don’t. 

“Personally I do believe that people should wear masks,” Idlett said. “Regardless, I believe it is still their choice whether they feel safe or not.” 

Both LaCount and Idlett, among many others, will choose to wear their masks but there are many students that won’t.

“I won’t because I don’t have to anymore,” Sophomore Diego Suarez said. “I’m happy to be free to not wear it if I don’t want to. Now I don’t have to worry about it in the morning and risk getting in trouble for not wearing it.” 

Though Suarez is abstaining from wearing it, he still believes that COVID-19 is a problem. 

“It is still a problem,” Suarez said. “There is a new strand and we don’t know if it can continue to mutate and overcome our medicine. I’m worried because I’ve had family members who died, but I think I’d personally be okay. I wouldn’t mind wearing a mask, but I won’t if I don’t have to. My aunt is at high risk. She’s old now and we need to bring her groceries and stuff because she doesn’t know how to drive and doesn’t want to risk getting sick.”