Student Newspaper of Caney Creek High School

Creek Compass

Creek Compass

Creek Compass

Poll

This poll has ended.

Which class will win the powderpuff football game?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Water polo finishes first competitive year

Photo: Melissa Bonilla
PASS IT. Junior George Macaluso looks for someone on his team to pass the ball to on Wednesday, Sep. 27, 2023. Macaluso made most of the goals during the game against Grand Oaks. “I was just trying to get the ball round because I was scoring the most points,” Macaluso said. “They put a lot of pressure on me to pass the ball around so I tried to do that throughout the game.”

In the first competitive season of water polo, the team used its losses as motivation to improve and better prepare for next year.

“It was a rough start to the season but we actually learned a lot and we’re making progress,” sophomore Sky Robinson said. “We’re not at the top obviously. It’s our first year. We’re not going to be perfect, but we’re getting there.”

The team’s practiced various drills to ensure they are prepared before games. These drills included swimming laps, passing the ball back and forth, and taking mock shots on the goalie.

“So as a coach, Me and coach Day (head swimming coach) work on technique and most of all endurance,” Water Polo Coach Chase Crampton said. “It is the hardest thing to stay afloat for 28 minutes in the water. A lot of people think that it’s easy, but when you get in the water, they realize it is not and they have to take breaks. Only the people who are conditioned to do that can actually do it.”

Keep scrolling to read more!

Players also trained outside of the water apart from their regular practices.

“They have to go to the weight room and get stronger with their legs and their arms,” Crampton said. “Of course they need to practice tossing the ball a lot to get that coordination.”

Most of the members, like sophomore Logan Day are playing for the first time this year and are beginners just learning the sport.

“Water polo this year was a big learning experience for everyone,” Day said. “I wasn’t there last year but after talking with everyone in the team, it was way different.”

The team thinks that this year served as an experience for the future seasons.

“I think next year we need to work on our teamwork and better prepare beforehand, for example going over plays, passing and especially communication.”

Donate to Creek Compass
$0
$650
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Caney Creek High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment, travel expenses, development opportunities and cover our annual website-hosting costs.