Student Newspaper of Caney Creek High School

Creek Compass

Creek Compass

Creek Compass

Poll

This poll has ended.

Which class will win the powderpuff football game?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

The Benefits of Technology for Students

People used to travel far and wide to read books at information centers, now books are easily accessible. As the world advances, information is becoming more and more available. 98% of all schools use technology to help teach. The current student-to-computer ratio is 10 to 1. This is noted by EducationalTraningServices.org. The growing debate is if technology is more harmful than beneficial. Technology helps students access a variety of information that they use for writing essays and making presentations. To say that technology doesn’t help students is to ignore the benefits that students gain from using it.
All around the world, students use technology to help with school work, catch up on missing notes and collaborate with fellow students. So many clubs like debate and journalism use tech to write papers, compete and store information. Technology has helped expand access to information, making studying and comprehension easier. According to the Federal Communications Commission, 65% of students used technology to finish assignments at home and 70% of teachers assigned work that required students to access the internet.
Technology doesn’t just help students in an educational setting. According to GoGuardian, technology can help students gain access to information that can help build entrepreneurial skills which help students prepare for life after school.Technology also helps develop the ability to collaborate with others and to take a self-directed approach to life. In the modern workplace there’s technology everywhere from office jobs to even music. Technology helps students build experience that can prepare them for their future jobs. This is noted by Explorance.
According to Cision, 59% say that technology is harmful to students’ mental health and literacy. While, yes, technology can be harmful, but that’s only if students don’t use it in moderation. PewReasearch.org notes too much access to technology is harmful, that’s why people have to moderate how much time we spend on the web. The Chronicle Journal says that when used in moderation, technology can have positive effects. PewResearch.org notes that unless people are able to regulate their online environment, there will be more harm to mental health. The problems stemming from technology are caused by lack of self control that only appears when unmoderated.
People need to start moderating our technology use so that students can continue to reap the many benefits that come from using it. Start moderating your digital environment and avoid social media. Regulate the time you spend online and use technology for beneficial reasons like assignments and additional information.

Keep scrolling to read more!
Donate to Creek Compass
$0
$650
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Caney Creek High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment, travel expenses, development opportunities and cover our annual website-hosting costs.