Student Newspaper of Caney Creek High School

Creek Compass

Creek Compass

Creek Compass

Poll

This poll has ended.

Which class will win the powderpuff football game?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Primary elections near

Texans 18 and above will have the option to vote in the primary on Tuesday, March 5, 2024. The primary election is coming up for the first time since the COVID-19 pandemic, and a new wave of voters will hit the ballot box. Many first-time voters have some big questions: who is running, and how do I vote?
As of publication, there are three Republican and two Democratic presidential candidates. The Republican party is down to former governor of South Carolina Nikki Haley, Donald J. Trump; the Democratic party being narrowed down to Joe Biden, Marriane Williamson, and Dean Phillips.
Former President Donald Trump
Trump is a businessman and has served one term as president from 2017 to 2021. He would lower the unemployment rate to 3.5%. According to the Associated Press, “Trump claims that even before he is inaugurated, he will have settled the war between Russia and Ukraine,” and that the ending of this war would include, “asking European allies to reimburse the U.S. for the cost of rebuilding stockpiles.” Trump vows to restore the economy and,“immediately stop the invasion of our Southern border,” heavily emphasizing the pouring of illegal drugs such as fentanyl, heroin and methamphetamine over the southern border.
In a Reuters article they state that during his time as president,“ He tightened borders, reduced refugee admissions and access to asylum, and instituted a sweeping ban that mostly targeted travelers from majority-Muslim and African nations.” He actively supports a 16-week abortion ban though he is said by Associated Press to not be pushing for a national ban. 

Former South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley
Haley(R) is a former ambassador to the United Nations, 116th governor of South Carolina from 2011-17 and member of Trump’s Cabinet.  She announced her presidential candidacy in February 2023. According to USA Today, Haley seeks to, “reduce the size of the Department of Education and prevent the agency from controlling how states allocate federal dollars.” make the country energy independent, support law enforcement,  and help working-class families and lower taxes. She also has the desire to crack down on illegal immigration and opposes abortion, believing it should be up to the states to decide their laws on the matter.
President Joe Biden
Biden is the current president of the United States, beating Trump in 2020. He was vice president under Barack Obama from 2009-2017, and represented Delaware in the United States Senate from 1973 to 2009.
Under Biden’s presidency, according to the US Inflation Calculator, Americans would be hit hard by inflation in 2021 and 2022. In 2021, the inflation rate would be up to the highest in four decades at  7%, only going down .5% to 6.5% in 2022. Though the inflation rate has settled back down at roughly 3.09%, these times were still very troubling for the American people. Though, during this time, the world was hit with COVID-19, and the US had to jump into action to provide relief to American citizens. Though in his first few days in office, Biden would suspend federal oil and gas sales in an effort to lessen carbon emissions. According to the US Energy Information Administration, “The top five source countries of U.S. gross petroleum imports in 2022 were Canada, Mexico, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, and Colombia.” And according to Maintenance World, “In 2020 alone nearly 160,000 workers were laid off and have yet to return as companies continue to tighten their budgets. The industry still hasn’t recovered to pre-pandemic levels.”
If re-elected, he vows to keep providing aid to Ukraine, veto a national abortion ban if it makes it through Congress, make the maximum price of insulin $35 a month, protect Social Security and Medicare, reform the Southern border and laws pertaining to immigration, and make the “wealthiest and the biggest corporations begin to pay their fair share.”
Marianne Williamson
Williamson is an author, political activist and spiritual thought leader. After ending her presidential run around Feb. 7 of this year, she rejoined the race on Feb. 28. She founded Project Angel Food in 1989, which is, according to ABC News, “a nonprofit that delivers meals to ill and dying home-bound patients,” and in 2004 she would co-found the “Peace Alliance”, a nonprofit with the mission to achieve a culture of peace.
Williamson seeks to regulate gun laws, fight for LGBTQ+ and women’s rights, bring justice for Native Americans by guaranteeing aid to strengthen tribal-self government, improve the healthcare system by making it more accessible and providing benefits, protect reproductive rights, and much more. To address climate change, Williamson believes,“What is necessary is a full scale climate emergency mobilization effort.” According to Marriane’s campaign website and NBC News, she wishes to, “Reach 100 percent renewable energy and dramatically reduce CO2 (carbon) emissions by 2035 or earlier.”
Dean Phillips
Phillips is a representative of Minnesota’s Third District, and a self proclaimed, “eternal optimist, radical pragmatist, and problem solver.” The Minnesota representative is very active in the community as a part of the Small Business Committee, visiting small businesses and entrepreneurs.
He desires to improve the lives of veterans, protect reproductive rights, maintain equality and civil rights, encourage the youth to become entrepreneurs, and provide Medicare for all.
How to Vote
To register to vote, you must fill out a voter registration application 30 days before the election date, March 5. According to VoteTexas, in order to register to vote for the first time, “Complete an application using the SOS ONLINE VOTER REGISTRATION APPLICATION. Simply fill in the required information, print, sign and mail the completed application directly to your county election office; Request a PRINTED APPLICATION. Our office will mail a postage-paid voter registration application to the address provided; OR Contact or visit your local VOTER REGISTRAR to complete the voter registration process.” To find your voter registration status, poll location, early voting locations, registration information, and key election dates, you can enter your information on the My Voter Portal at Texas Secretary of State. 

Along with presidential elections, voters will also vote for a U.S. senators and representatives district 2 and 8. As well as railroad commissioner, justice supreme court place 2, 4 and 6, presiding judge of criminal appeals, judge of court appeals place 7 and 8, state senator district 7 and state representative district 16, and county chair. To see ballot samples and for more information visit, the Montgomery County Elections website: https://elections.mctx.org/.

Keep scrolling to read more!
Donate to Creek Compass
$0
$650
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Caney Creek High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment, travel expenses, development opportunities and cover our annual website-hosting costs.