Student Newspaper of Caney Creek High School

Creek Compass

Creek Compass

Creek Compass

Poll

This poll has ended.

Which class will win the powderpuff football game?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

ATHLETE SPOTLIGHT: Miaham Jimenez, wrestling

Miaham+Jimenez
Photo: Justin Esteban
Miaham Jimenez

Miaham Jimenez

• Grade:11
  • Sport: Wrestling
  • Position: Neutral
  • Age Started Playing: Middle school, did not compete until highschool

How would other people describe you as an athlete?

Hardworking but pretty committed.

How and why did you start playing?

Keep scrolling to read more!

My brother joined so my parents forced me to join freshman year, before the competition I didn’t like it so I wanted to quit so badly. Then I started competing and I started winning and I was like “okay never mind”.

For people that have never played your sport, what do you think the average person gets wrong about it? 

I think a lot of people underestimate it. It’s a lot of physical movements and mentality plays a big role in it. I think a lot of people just don’t see that side of it.

What personal superstitions or traditions do you have before, during or after a game? 

So before my matches I always try to lock in. I kind of zone out and listen to my music. My coach and I always just have a little talk before every one of my matches.

Tell us about your favorite memory as an athlete either on or off the field. 

My favorite memory off the mat is always the regional trip to Dallas. My favorite on the match memory will have to be my final match at regionals. 

Tell us the story about what you are most proud of yourself for.

I feel like this year I was one point away from qualifying, I was an alternate this year for state but I was one point away from qualifying, so I think I was proud of myself for that. 

As an athlete, who is someone you are thankful for and why? 

Coach Ferguson for sure. He’s always been there for me, about the sport and outside of the sport. He’s always been there to hype me up and support me. 

What advice would you give to your younger self when you began playing? T

I wish I would have paid attention more, I wish I would have realized I was going to like it eventually, I wish I would have put in more work into it. I would have been a lot better than I think I am now.

Favorites

• Team/Sport Ritual or Tradition: Clap it up and watching each other after every match.
  • Pre-Game Meal: Electrolytes
  • Post-Game Meal: Cheeseburger from Whataburger
  • Practice: Season practices
  • Hype Music: Coaches playlist which is mostly rap
  • Coach: Ferguson

Donate to Creek Compass
$0
$650
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Caney Creek High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment, travel expenses, development opportunities and cover our annual website-hosting costs.