School advocates special education bullying awareness

Jose Gomez, State & International News Editor

During the month of October, bullying prevention month commenced. In late October, a Tiktok video went viral where a special needs student was surrounded by a group of students from Arvin High School in California, cutting his hair without his consent. Caney Creek High School has many measures to prevent and stop incidents like this happening to our special education students.

“When incidents have been reported to our administration, they’ve done a really good job of intervening in that situation,” special education teacher Samantha Leos said. “Whether it’s removing a student from a bus or working with the police.”

If students were to get bullied at school, there would be rules in place to stop it from continuously happening.

“A special education student that was being bullied on a general education bus was placed in a special needs bus,” Leos said. “There is a little more supervision and the adult-to-student ratio is better and more manageable”

On the other hand, the student body tries to make the special education students feel included with them. Last school year, the cheerleading squad and a few football players held a Christmas party for the students. 

“Everyone of our kids were included, and they had so much fun,” Leos said. “Since they don’t usually attend activities like homecoming, to them it’s kind of like the same level because they were given the opportunity to to have fun, dance, and interact with other students.”