Student Newspaper of Caney Creek High School

Creek Compass

Creek Compass

Creek Compass

Poll

This poll has ended.

Which class will win the powderpuff football game?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

MEET THE STAFF: Sarah Dudley

Sarah+Dudley
Photo: Lizette Fierros
Sarah Dudley

Sarah Dudley

• Position: World History teacher, AP World History teacher
  • Degrees & Alma Mater: Social Studies Education degree from University of Oklahoma
  • School Activities: Team lead for World History, Safe and Civil Arts Foundation team, Student Council
  • Years at Caney Creek: About 11-12
  • Years Teaching: 11-12

How would other people describe your high-school self?

I went to two different high schools, it was in two different states so I think people would always say that I was friendly and willing to participate and willing to adapt to the school environment.

Was there a career you wanted to pursue OR pursued before teaching?

Keep scrolling to read more!

I went to college for engineering first and decided that I didn’t want to continue and that’s when I then finished my degree in social studies.

Tell us about how you got into teaching.

I had to make a decision in college. I had friends in my dorm that were pursuing social studies education as well so it was matching to me enjoying taking the history classes. I participated in working with international students so I got to hear their studies and I also traveled overseas to teach English to university students when I was in college as well so it was one of those combinations of, “oh I enjoy doing these things.”

What do you do outside of school for fun? Why?

I have a dog so I hang out with my little golden retriever but I also hang out with my family but I also do quilts.

When people get to know you, what are they most surprised to learn about you? 

The fact that I have traveled to different places and I can be very reserved when people first meet me but then I can be very outgoing. I’m one that takes me a while to open up to people, I read the room, but it’s probably because I’ve moved a lot so you have to learn how to deal with the situation.

Tell us the story about what you are most proud of yourself for.

Always being willing to learn new skills and taking on those different challenges, I’m very proud that things that make me nervous I still try to do. I’m proud of myself for putting myself out there.

Who is someone you are thankful for and why?

I appreciate my mom and dad, they have been my biggest supporters. My mom in particular encouraged me for teaching but also learning a new skill with quilting. She didn’t have the opportunity to go to college and she always encouraged me to pursue whatever dream I had and not let me be reserved or shy or whatever stood in my way.

What advice would you give to your younger self?

That it’s okay to let go of friendships and start new ones, take advantage of the people you’re around.

What do you hope to be remembered for?

That kindness and compassion. At the end it’s to celebrate other people and that I didn’t stand in the way of someone else’s potential.

What’s on your bucket list? 

I still want to travel abroad, I got to travel to Russia but I would love to travel to different parts of Europe.

What aspirations do you have for the future?

I live in the moment but for the future I hope to continue to quilt and to take that joy and do something else with it. To create more or to share that with others. 

Favorites

• Food: Chicken nuggets
  • Restaurant: Pappasito’s Cantina
  • Music: ‘90s pop and hip hop
  • TV Show: “Gilmore Girls”
  • Movie: “Little Big League”
  • Book: Anything Laure Graham has written
  • Teacher: Mrs. Savage from first grade

Donate to Creek Compass
$0
$650
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Caney Creek High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment, travel expenses, development opportunities and cover our annual website-hosting costs.