Caney Creek HS faculty, staff pitched in during Harvey aftermath

Photo by: Caney Creek Twitter
Faculty and staff helped give out food after Hurricane Harvey.

Hurricane Harvey brought torrential rains and flooding – devastating the Houston region, including families and students attending Caney Creek High School.

In the aftermath, CCHS’s faculty and staff came together to help out the community where they work.

European history and psychology teacher Elaine Wix was one of the teaches who helped gather and deliver donations. She also helped some of her friends by cleaning up and tearing out sheet rock of flooded houses.

“It is crazy that it takes months to build a house, but it takes only a few hours to gut it once it floods,” she said.

She was impressed by how the community put aside differences in order to rescue neighborhood and find goods, do safety checks, and donate what was needed and help clean up homes.

“Many of our students and alumni came back to CCHS to deliver food and volunteer,” she said.

World geography teacher and coach John Lee went to volunteer with a couple of teachers from CCHS at an elementary school in The Woodlands. They picked up supplies and brought them back and unloaded the truck. He wasn’t able to be at the food drive since he had to help one of his best friend that gut his house flooded and he helped him.

“Hey this is what’s needs to be done,” he said. “I would hope someone would do the same for me.”

Afterwards, he said, it felt good to know that you made an impact on somebody.

Associate Principal William Kelly was one of the APs who went to help also. The school sent out a community survey to know what families needed and who lost their house.

They worked with the Interfaith food bank in The Woodlands and they gave them food and water and other supplies and brought them here to the school.

Principal Dr. Jeff Stichler sent out a survey to find out who needed supplies.

“We invited teachers from all six schools to help distribute and handout and we had 100s of teachers and students that helped,” he said.

He said more than 200 teachers in the feeder zone came together at CCHS and distribute food to the 700 families and 3,922 people.

Photo by: Caney Creek Twitter
Teachers Scott Merry, Steve Svendsen, John Lee, Justin Brodie, and Ignacio Sauceda helped out during the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey that flooded much of Grangerland.
Photo by: Caney Creek Twitter

Photo by: Caney Creek Twitter