Student’s cancer battle a rallying cause

Photo: Aby Marroquin

Layne Rogers met with several supporters at his first football game since his diagnosis and treatment.

George Juarez, Editor-in-Chief

Layne Rogers and his mother at a fundraiser at a roller rink.

There’s no guarantee that anyone sees tomorrow.

Rodgers was diagnosed with osteosarcoma, a type of bone cancer that’s particularly hard to cure, in his right knee on Sept. 26.

Doctors couldn’t find a way to save his leg, so they decided to amputate it on Oct. 30.

“Before my leg was cut off, it was like literally a bowling ball in my knee,” Rogers said. “I couldn’t do anything, I couldn’t even sit down. It hurt so bad.”

He currently has a shrinker, an elastic sock that is made to assist in shaping an amputated leg. In the future, he is hoping to get a prosthetic.

The disease has metastasized to his lungs and he still has more chemotherapy ahead of him. Fortunately LeeAnn Perry, Rodger’s mother, has been with him alongside.

“Everyday, Layne chooses joy and I think that it’s important that we do that; that we actively choose joy every single day,” Perry said. “He has an incredible outlook on life right now, and it’s not the end just because he lost a leg.”

Rodgers’ family has been trying to raise money through benefits and fundraisers. They say that they have blessed with the amount of support from the community.

It has not been an easy journey for the family, but Rodgers is determined to fight this disease and win.

“I don’t let anything bring me down,” Rodgers said. “There’s always a positive side to something.”

The wife of Jerry Vineyard, lead pastor of Under Over Fellowship, was in contact with Layne’s mother and invited him to watch the Lone Star Amputee Soccer Houston team in an exhibition match against new members of the Haitian National Amputee Soccer team on Nov. 25 at Lents Family Park near The Woodlands.

“They knew that Layne went to Caney Creek and is an amputee,” Perry said. “What a perfect place to send that team to.”

Photo by: “Cancer, Stay out of our Layne” Facebook Page
Junior Layne Rogers surrounded by family and friends after starting a hydration drip Oct. 3.

Layne was an athlete at Caney Creek prior to the cancer diagnosis. He was also a member of the Lone Star Chaos Junior Roller Derby Team, along with his brother Logan, according to the Facebook page that provides updates on his case. The team, along with the Conroe Cutthroats Roller Derby Team, a girls squad his sister Brooklyn plays on, hosted a benefit in his honor Dec. 3.

A few weeks ago, the Haitian national amputee soccer team went to visit the boys and girls soccer team. However, it might not be the last time Rodgers will meet another successful athlete due to the speculation of meeting second baseman Jose Altuve.

“I have a little bit more information that I’m not going to share, but I will say that soon the Astros will make an appearance,” Perry said.

It was discussed that he might even become a manager this season for the baseball team.

Rodgers, who is currently attending school with the help of a robotic device, has made several in-person appearances at school including a pep rally and a football game.

For more information and updates, visit the Facebook page supporting him “Cancer, Stay Out of Our Layne.”