Student Council hosts first leadership conference

Photo: Stephen Green

Freshman Julian Mendez, right, works with other student leaders on a project at the leadership conference.

George Juarez, Editor-in-Chief

The Student Council hosted a leadership conference during the summer with the hope of training the future campus leaders. Students had asked for the skills needed to help the campus grow.

“There was a desire to just become better,” Student Council co-sponsor Sarah Dudley said. “You wanted to be a leader, but how does that really work? How do you make that happen?”

During the leadership conference, students played icebreakers and team building activities to gain skills in leadership and learn the process of becoming a leader with the help of conference trainer Laura Price.

“We want ones (leaders) who are committed to a cause. We want ones that are passionate and will do something with that passion,” Dudley said. “Those little things are what makes our world work.”

Dr. Jeff Stichler helped introduce the process of getting it done with the help of the advisor of Student Council in Conroe High School Ninth Grade Campus, Marilyn Robles. That campus has held similar conferences in previous years.

“We wanted to do something for the kids; we wanted to train them and that was kind of our goal,” Dudley said. “Let’s get them to work together and be successful with one another, and introduce themselves to other students on the campus.”

The selection of students to be part of the conference was with the help of Assistant Principal Dr. Donna Papadimitriou who helped pick a wide variety of the student body. Dudley said leaders definitely have the ability to amp up the room and delegate.

“You want to make it a joy for people to follow you,” she said. “A leader is one that has a willingness to hear everyone, but get the job done when it needs to be done.”

As a Student Council sponsor, along with Tracy Underwood, she said the conference increased the number of members in their organization. Not only have the numbers gone up, but new ideas have come up also.

“We really wanna see these students come up with an idea, create it, plan it and just have us go ‘good job, that’s exactly what your supposed to do’ so we would be more hands-off,” Dudley said.

Sophomore Evelyn Gonzalez said that she learned how to collaborate with people to accomplish one goal.

“You have to work really really hard and actually concentrate on what you want to do,” Gonzalez said.

Student Council participated in another leadership conference in January at Conroe High School.