Rodgers goes through second round of cancer

George Juarez, Editor-In-Chief

Most people consider a common cold annoying; a fever discomforting; or a broken bone crippling.

Not everyone should be so lucky. Others fight diseases that aren’t as temporary and just as dangerous.

Layne Rodgers, 17, was diagnosed with osteosarcoma, a form of bone cancer, in September 2017. He wasn’t responsive to the first round of chemotherapy and his right leg was amputated in order to save his life. In the second round of a different chemotherapy treatment, he didn’t respond and had to undergo into two lung surgeries to remove tumors.

Layne did not wish to be interviewed for this story, but several of his relatives and friends did.

In April 23, it was announced through the “Cancer, STAY OUT of our Layne” Facebook page that he was cancer free.

Then it came back.

During his two month scan on July 10, they revealed a relapse with 14 tumors in his lungs. According to the University of Rochester Medical Center, bone cancer that has metastasized, or moved to other parts of the body, has a five-year survival rate of 15 to 30 percent.

Logan Rodgers, Layne’s brother, said when the doctor told his family about the news, the room “was dead silent until you could hear the crying.”

“Everything has changed,” Logan said. “He’s not my same big brother anymore.”

Senior Ashlynn Stanford, Layne’s cousin, said that medically, Layne is not at his best.

“One of his lungs doesn’t have any activity and he coughs up blood sometimes, but physically he’s great,” Stanford said. “He still goes to places like he did before all of this, and he still has a great mindset with all that has been going on.”

Last month, Caney Creek High School and Creighton Elementary hosted a blood drive and were dedicated to Layne. One of Layne’s closest friends, senior Colton Newsom, who donated blood, said he’s going to beat cancer again.

“Most people I’ve talked to say he is going to make it,” Newsom said. “There’s still a positive attitude about it.”

In September, the community held a rally in his honor at the baseball field where his pastor spoke and led prayer to get him through the diagnosis. Another sang gospel songs as his supporters surrounded him, his mother and grandmother on the pitcher’s mound.

In an emotional moment, everyone gathered around Layne in a giant mass and put their hands toward him and toward the sky in prayer.

More recently, Layne traveled to Alaska as part of the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

Others, like his brother Logan, picture a bleak an end to the struggle.

He said, “(It’s) an end where I’m left being the only child.”