Student Newspaper of Caney Creek High School

Creek Compass

Creek Compass

Creek Compass

Poll

This poll has ended.

Which class will win the powderpuff football game?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

MEET THE STAFF: Jason Downing

Jason+Downing
Photo: Danny Noyola
Jason Downing

Jason Downing

• Position: physics teacher  
  • Degree: bachelor’s in geology
  • Years at Caney Creek: 1
  • Years Teaching: 1

How would other people describe your high-school self?

Short, I did not finish high school. I dropped out and got my GED. 

Was there a career you wanted to pursue OR pursued before teaching?

Keep scrolling to read more!

I wanted to work in the medical field as a physical therapist or occupational therapist. I couldn’t decide.

Tell us about how you got into teaching.

I had spent about 20 years working in the oil and gas industry as a geologist and I got laid off in 2020. I went independent and tried to work with my own business and things didn’t work out as well as I hoped. So I applied for my teaching certification. To my surprise, I was accepted to get my certification here in Texas. That’s how I got into teaching.

What do you do outside of school for fun? Why?

I spend a lot of time with baseball. My son is baseball player at Klein Oak. I have always loved the game.

When people get to know you, what are they most surprised to learn about you? 

I guess most people are surprised that I’m a geologist. I don’t know why, but usually that surprises people. 

What is your hidden talent? 

I surf, so I don’t know if I’d call that a hidden talent. I grew up my entire life in Corpus Christi and I was, basically, 10 minutes away from burying my feet in the sand. Here in Houston, when I tell people that I surf, they give me a look.

Tell us the story about what you are most proud of yourself for.

That would be the day that I got my degree, my geology degree. I’ve spent my entire life studying mostly astronomy, astrophysics and cosmology…stuff like that, Einstein, those types of things. I knew that at an early age that probably wasn’t very useful as a career. That’s one of the reasons why I ended up choosing geology. But the day I got my degree, I  just couldn’t wait for someone to ask me, “What do you do for a living?” “I’m a geologist.” Super proud of that.

Who is someone you are thankful for and why?

I’m thankful for my kids. A lot. I’ve got four of them. They’re all four completely different. I think the lessons and everything that I’ve gotten from them has taught me a lot to connect with my high school students.

What advice would you give to your younger self?

My advice would be to stay away from several people. There were a couple of friends that I would go back and stay away from.  

What do you hope to be remembered for?

I hope to be remembered as a person who likes to help his neighbor who’s willing to see when there’s a need not to have to wait for someone to ask for help.

What’s on your bucket list?

I’d like to visit the East Coast. I have not seen the East Coast. I have been all over the country as a geologist — climbing mountains, rock climbing, looking at all kinds of different formations across the western Central America. 

Favorites

• Food: Indian food from India or Pakistan, butter chicken 
  • Restaurant: Pappasito’s
  • Music: Punk rock 
  • TV Show: “Lost”
  • Movie:50 First Dates” (2004)
  • Teacher:  history professor Dr. Duke 

Donate to Creek Compass
$0
$650
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Caney Creek High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment, travel expenses, development opportunities and cover our annual website-hosting costs.